Monday 7 March 2011


Beliefs Move Mountains


Much has been written lately about beliefs. The whole idea that underlies many therapeutic approaches is that beliefs underpin our thought processes, our emotions and our behaviours. In fact, they underpin our view of the world, how we interpret it and how we behave within it. Within the therapeutic/coaching field this is a generally accepted 'belief', based on observation.

What is more difficult to grasp is that our beliefs directly influence how the world reflects back to us, especially when we interact with people. Whatever I believe a person's intent to be will determine my reaction. Lets say I am in a group and one of the people doesn't pay any attention to me. I react by thinking that this person doesn't like me. I may subsequently behave insecure, or cool, or I may try to make them like me. Then the person in question reacts. This reaction will of course be based on what she beleives. If she believes that I am a 'cool person' she may withdraw. If she believes that 'insecure' people are not worth knowing, she will avoid paying attention to me. Both reactions will re-enforce my belief that this person doesn't like me. And so we go on, acting and reacting based on our beliefs, which we haven't questioned.

The longer we go on acting and reacting from un-questioned beliefs -and the more the world re-enforces those beliefs- the more our brain interprets beliefs as truths. Interpreting beliefs as truths is the most fatal error we can make. It keeps us within limited boundaries and it undermines our power to change things. 

It is vital to become aware of what we believe and how this influences our lives. The simplest way to create self-awareness is to pay attention to ABC :
A= Activating Event   
B =Belief about the Event
C =Consequence
After doing this for a while you will fully understand that your beliefs are just beliefs, established for different reasons and at different times in your life. You will realise that they are neither absolute truths - even if they feel like it - nor universal laws and that you have the power to change them.
The outcome is a very special kind of freedom:
The freedom to chose beliefs that will enhance your life. 

© 2011 Christa Mackinnon

No comments: